How To Create A my Social Security Account
This guide will help you to create a personal my Social Security account. Creating an account will benefit you if you are applying for Social Security, Medicare, or if you already have these benefits.
What is a my Social Security Account?
My Social Security is an online tool that helps you to manage various services related to your Social Security benefits.
With the world transitioning from paper applications/documents to online this tool makes it easier to communicate with the Social Security Administration and Medicare.
What Does This Account Help With?
We’ve already mentioned that this account is a benefit if you have Social Security or Medicare benefits, but here are other ways this account can make your life easier.
- See the latest Social Security statements
- Print your statements for income verification for government programs
- Review your earnings history
- Replace your Social Security card
- Replace your Medicare card
- Check the status of an application
- Change your address or phone number
- Set up or change direct deposit
- Check the status of an appeal
- If you do not have Social Security you can still create an account and see estimated retirement benefits depending on your current age and what age you plan on retiring
Information You Will Need To Create an account
Here is a listing of the things you will need to create an account.
- Provide an email address
- Know your Social Security number
- Have a US mailing address
- You are 18 years or older
Creating a my Social Security Account
To create an account, first, visit the Social Security website. From here you will select Create Your Account.
When creating your account you will be asked the following:
- Verify your identity. You will do this by answer questions that only you would know.
- Create a username and password that will be used to access your account
- Confirm your email address or phone number. This is done to keep your personal information safe.
Once you have created your account you will be able to use it to access all the features that have been discussed in this article.
The world continues to shift from paper documentation to online and the Social Security Administration is no different.
Creating my Social Security account will help you to quickly enroll in government programs, view Social Security statements, replace your Social Security, Medicare cards, and lots more.
Adopting technology like this will speed up the time it takes to process requests and make changes regarding your Social Security and Medicare benefit.